TAMIYA or FALAFEL – bean cakes
TAMIYA or FALAFEL – bean cakes ingredients:
- 2 cups skinned white broad beans
- 1/2 cup fresh dill leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 2 onions
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1 small leek, stalk only
- 1 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate or baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons sesame seeds, cooking oil, salt
Soak beans overnight. Drain and mince with dill, coriander, onions, garlic, parsley and leek. Add spices, seasoning, sodium bicarbonate and knead.
Let stand in room temperature for about I hour. With wet spoon or wet fingers, scoop small amount, shape into flat discs about 5 cms in diameter and 2 cms thick.
Sprinkle one side with sesame seeds and deep fry in sizzling oil to a brown colour.
Remove onto absorbent paper.